Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Thing 5

I've got to admit, I love Flickr. It's a great way to see what's going on with friends and family. Even though most of my Flickr friends are fellow Lincolnites (my coworkers and my mom) and we could theoretically have shared photos prior to Flickr, we didn't. Or if we did, they were only "important" pictures.

What I think is fun is when someone posts a photo of some ordinary activity in their life. Even something like a landscaping project. It's the sort of thing you might talk about with your coworkers (yeah, we spent the whole weekend digging up our backyard and planting...) so it's neat to actually see it in process.

I also think it's really interesting to look at the popular tags page, especially the "hot tags in the last 24 hours" and the "hot tags over the last week." Sometimes they are pretty meaningless but other times, if some major, newsworthy event has occurred, you'll see tags that reflect it. And if you click on the tag you'll retrieve photos of the event taken and posted by Flickr users.

My favorite example of this is from February 2007 when there was a big recall of Peter Pan peanut butter. All of a sudden "salmonella" and "peanut butter" were "hot tags." Not that food poisoning is funny, but what an interesting cultural phenomenon that so many people took pictures of their recalled jars of peanut butter! Wouldn't a cultural anthropologist from the future love to have access to Flickr?

No comments: