Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Thing 8 - RSS & Bloglines

I've had a Bloglines account for about a year now and I've got to say I feel like I do a much better job keeping up with what's going on in the profession than I did previously. For some reason I've never been very good at keeping up with the magazines I have routed to me. I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe it's the fact that I am already on the computer and it doesn't feel as much like switching gears to jump over to Bloglines and catch up on some posts when I need a mental change of pace. Whatever the reason, it works for me.

Since I use Bloglines already, for this exercise I thought I'd try to subscribe to a few feeds through Google Reader to see how I like it. The one thing I don't like about Bloglines is that when you access posts from a particular source you have to either read them all in one sitting, or go through and mark each unread post to indicate that you want it to remain new. Otherwise the posts go away. This is a pain since I don't always have time to browse through all the posts at one time. Google Reader evidently doesn't do that, so I thought I'd try it out as a possible replacement.

No comments: